Thursday, June 9, 2011

fourth day, evening

I'm settling in to a rhythm for Naia's trips out of doors as well, about once every hour and a half including two proper walks through the neighborhood. The goal of teaching myself more routine is getting a little better achieved again and again. I'm having more trouble getting Naia to go #2 on her evening walks than in the morning, which always worries me just a tad.

Early in the day, after Naia's walk, I took another trip to the bagel shop; I've indulged in a whole dozen of them. I don't usually keep them on hand, and then end up buying them individually when I am out late in the morning and don't have time for a bowl of cereal or don't feel like it. All this is in the name of being more deliberate, more directed.

Today I got round to adding the easier part of the new variables to the models in the conference paper, and took the first steps toward joining the harder part as well. While I was at it, I snuck some parallelism into the old code I've been recycling; now I get my 60 models at a time in 40 minutes as opposed to two hours. There's a big econometrics conference going on on campus, and it was supposed to demand a great deal of us the computer lab consultants, but it fizzled out in that regard — I had one phone call about it all day.

I've been cooking reasonably well — today some simple chicken lo mein. As in my computing work, I've been trying to implement parallel processing everywhere I can in the kitchen. This has meant, for instance, two teakettles and a big saucepan all going at once, each heating up a small amount of water to boil noodles in once ready. Hey, might as well add heat energy to the water at triple speed. This has meant separate frying pans with chicken and vegetables stir-frying in them independently, which was really useful given a lack of one skillet or wok big enough to handle all the ingredients together.

Man, having a dishwasher really is all it's cracked up to be.

Tomorrow I'll bake some bread, since I'm about out of it, and I'll do what more of this side project I can accomplish.

No comments:

Post a Comment